Directed Studies change

Sadie Gross, Contributer

Why did Directed Studies change? How do people feel about it? What would they change and take back? 

As everyone already knows and has experienced, the directed studies schedule has changed. We get the ability now to read for the whole period on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays and Wednesdays, you can still do your homework. 

The new change has now gotten more strict,  if you don’t have a book to read on the days that are “reading days” (Tuesdays and Thursdays), you will be sent to the library or escorted by one of the campus supervisors to get a book to read for the period. If you are continuing to show up to school without a book on the reading days, office staff have announced that teacher assign lunch detentions to the repeated offenders. 

It is not a guarantee that this will last for the rest of the year, but for now always come to school prepared with a book to read!

You may think that this change is “So stupid” or “not fair”, but reading does have many benefits for you.  You may change your mind if you find out how much value reading has. According to bragmedallion.com: “Out-of-school reading habits of students has shown that even 15 minutes a day of independent reading can expose students to more than a million words of text in a year.” Also “56 % of young children say they read more than 10 books a year, meaning that middle school students reading the most. Some 70 percent of middle school students read more than 10 books a year, compared with only 49 percent of high school students.”

Interviews with students-

Rosalie Fata (7):

How do you feel about the DS change?

“I hate it.”

What would you change or take back about DS?

“I would not want to read anymore because other people have things to do during that time that is not reading!”

Chloe Feuchter (7):

How do you feel about the DS change?

“I don’t like it.”

“I would only want one reading day because people have a lot of work to do which they cant do.”

Alexi Solkolov (7):

How do you feel about the DS change?

“Horrible. I hate it so much.”

“I would want the schedule to back to how it was last year when we had “freedom” to do our homework and not have to be told we had to do one thing.”

Ben Thomas (6):

How do you feel about the DS change?

“I think it’s stupid.”

“I think we should have an entire period of free time so we could do whatever we want.”

Isabella Gomez (7):

How do you feel about the DS change?

“I’m not that happy with it.”

“I think we should mix in reading time with brunch because we need DS time to do our homework.” 

How do you feel about the changes? What would you change or take back?