The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

Washington D.C Trip 2019

A Trip to Remember...

April 9, 2019

The long awaited trip to Washington D.C has finally come. 8th graders who had the desire to attend, have been attending meetings month after month getting a clear understanding on what to look forward to in D.C. Being at school on February 8th, 2019 at 4:00 AM, these students were in for a real treat. They left at 4:30 AM to San Francisco International Airport, got on a 4 hour flight to Dulles airport in Virginia, then right after they went to the National Air and Space Museum where they had airplanes, and VR simulators. Later that day, it was another 2 hour bus drive to Charlottesville Virginia where the students had their first big meal at Woodgrill Buffet, and checked into their fire hotel, the Double Tree.

Being down for breakfast at 7:30 am, these students are up bright and early and ready to see some of the most beautiful things in Monticello. It was 33 degrees and even colder up on the mountain of Thomas Jefferson’s home. They took a tour on the inside of the 3rd presidents house, and inside they saw some original furniture and items, and breathtaking views of the house. Walking down the mountain the house was on, these students also saw the the rows of plantations that his slaves helped farm. Further down the mountain, was the grave of Thomas Jefferson and other significant lives that have passed away. Seeing the house and grave of a Founding Father, a draftsmen of the Declaration of Independence, and the 3rd president is pretty special. Later that day, they ate at Michie’s tavern, and then they were off. Following another 2 hour bus ride, the next stop was the second National Air and Space Museum. In the museum, there were more planes and walk in exhibits that you could see that had information about space and airplanes. After dinner at Kora’s, these students got to see the Lincoln Memorial, the Korean Memorial, and last the Vietnam Memorial where they took pictures and admired the beauty of each and every historic memorial. This was a fun filled day that these students will remember. At the end of the night, these students checked into their other hotel, the Westin.

Breakfast at 7:00 am, and eating a full breakfast for the long day ahead of them. The first stop was in Arlington, at the Arlington National Cemetery. Walking a mile or two in 20 degree weather, they were able to see lined up rows of 400,000 tombstones of significant lives who where in the armed forces and veterans from military services. There, they saw more memorials such as the Women in military Services memorial, the Korean War memorial, the list goes on and on. After taking a tour of the massive cemetery, students who’s essay got chosen, had the amazing opportunity to lay the wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Those winners were Anisa Pasha, Charlotte Bogard, Rebecca Ward, and Blue Hanson. They payed their respects by laying their hands on the wreath and putting their hands over their hearts. Later being escorted to the top of the stairs by by the sergeant soldier. This was an amazing experience that these students will remember. (Full story about the laying of the wreath can be found here https://eyeoftheviking.com/4479/student-life/laying-of-the-wreath-at-washington-d-c/). By noon, another amazing place they went to was the National Archives Museum. There in the rotunda, they saw the ORIGINAL Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights signed by the founding fathers and more. Following right after, they visited the National African American History Museum which they saw a real life train, and a walk in exhibit about history and facts about African Americans. It was many stories high and floors underground, so they spend a little over two hours in this amazing museum. There was also an exhibit about Oprah, and history about the first Lady, Michelle Obama.

One of the places that the Washington D.C. students visited was the Washington National Cathedral. It was built 83 years ago and some U.S. presidents had their funeral there. For example Dwight D. Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford had their state funerals at the Cathedral along with several other presidents. The Cathedral is the sixth largest cathedral in the world and the second largest in the United States. On the outside of the Cathedral, it looks like a castle and it was made out all of Indiana lime stone. The Cathedral cost about $65 million and weighs about 150,000 tons. Students that went on the D.C. trip enjoyed seeing one of the largest cathedrals in the United States. One student Riley Pult said “I liked the architecture, liked how everything was layed out, and also how grand it seemed.”