The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

Laying of the Wreath at Washington D.C.

Student Life

February 22, 2019

On Sunday, February 10th, 2019, 4 students wrote an essay on why they would be a good representative to lay the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  This takes place in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia, which is a cemetery for people who have dedicated their lives to protect out country. This cemetery consists of people who fought in the Civil War, people who fought in war in general, and even retired veterans. Specifically, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is placed behind the Arlington Memorial Amphitheater and it is known for laying a red white and blue floral wreath in memory of soldiers who’s remains are unidentified. People who went to the Washington D.C. trip in 2019, had the option to write a 500 to 1,000 word essay on why they would be a good representative for Benicia and Benicia middle school, to lay the wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Four students were picked to have this once in a lifetime opportunity, that they will remember forever. The people that were chosen, were Charlotte Bogard, Anisa Pasha, Rebecca Ward, and Blue Hanson. While being accompanied by the soldiers, they payed their respects by placing their hands on the wreath, and putting their hands over their hearts. Once finished, the Sargent escorted the 4 students up to the top of the stairway, as the wreath laying ceremony has finished. “I chose to write this essay because I thought it was a cool once in a lifetime opportunity,” says Charlotte Bogard.” It was a fun experience and the soldiers were really helpful.” Another winner, Blue Hanson says “I wrote the essay because I thought laying the wreath would be a good representation of my academic prowess.” Another one of the winners was Rebecca, who has had a lot of her family in the army. “I wrote it because my family is in the army and I wanted to show my appreciation for them. I enjoyed it because I got to see my family’s perspective from this experience.” “I wanted to write this essay, because I wanted to give back to those soldiers who fought for our country, and it was was an amazing experience overall.” Anisa says. It was 20 degrees that day, however that didn’t stop these students from wearing fancy attire and their enthusiasm towards laying the wreath. All four of the students had a great time showing their appreciation to those soldiers who made a great number of sacrifices to protect and fight for the country that we live in today.