The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

Mexico Border Crisis

World Events

December 19, 2018

People crowd into little Padres park. They brought tents and set up camp, the camps are very unsanitary from open sewage to sleeping on the floor. The bathroom at the camps are extremely dirty there are puddles of runoff and open sewage pipes. People are having to sleep on the floor. Many people are getting illnesses like the flu, lice, and stomach illness. More than 5,800 migrants  have taken shelter in the complex according to development secretariats people come to America to seek asylum. Marchers were blocked by Mexican police as they headed towards the bridge and attempted to get around and over the border. Agents fired tear gas at the marchers after the marches threw rocks.

Out current president will not let the refugees into America he says “The United States will not be a migrant camp, and it will not be a refugee holding facility —won’t be,” Trump stated at a meeting of the National Space Council Monday. “You look at what’s happening in Europe, you look at what’s happening in other places, we can’t allow that to happen to the United States.” Do you think that he should be letting refugees into America? 

*The 8th graders at BMS at currently writing if the U.S should or shouldn’t open more refugees. This topic ties into what the 8th graders are writing about.*