The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

Is Oumuamua Really An Alien Spacecraft?

World Events

December 11, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Oumuamua Really An Alien Spacecraft?

Picture of

Picture of "Oumuamua" Is it a comet or really an alien space craft passing by?

This cigar-shaped rock, told to be “Alien Spacecraft” according to scientists, was first spotted in telescopes in Hawaii in 2017. It means “a messenger from afar arriving first.” This rock, so-called “spacecraft” isn’t from our galaxy, it could possibly have been thrown out of orbit from another system of stars. It came into our solar system at 25 kilometers a second. Scientist discovered one day it wouldn’t give off as much light, the next day the light would be ten times brighter which is odd.  It’s width to length ratio is 1-10 which is strange, nothing like we’ve ever seen in our solar system. It passed by Earth and by the sun and turned away. It’s velocity and predicted path started to change right after it passed by the Sun, which can’t be explained. Right after it passed by the Sun it immediately started traveling faster. (Path shown below) It could just be a comet but Comets usually orbit in an ellipse-shape, but Oumuamua orbits in a strange angle, unlike most comets. (Picture of orbit shown below). So could it just be an awful weird comet or an actual spacecraft?

The fact that this “comet” speeded up and it’s predicted path changed along with a weird orbit, it could have just been a comet releasing gas using it to propel forward in speed though scientist have no evidence of these jets of gas.

Could it be just a comet? It has a weird shape, passes by our Sun and leaves at a high speed. Oumuamua could have come from a system with a hot, high-mass star which could it explain it’s shape and “tumbling motion”. Before Stephen Hawking passed, he stated: “Researchers working on long-distance space transportation have previously suggested that a cigar or needle shape is the most likely architecture for an interstellar spacecraft, since this would minimize friction and damage from interstellar gas and dust.”