The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

Cross Country Season Comes To An End

Sports

December 10, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country Season Comes To An End

There were 40 people on the team who ran from Monday to Friday afternoon for practice. The season lasted from early September to early November They practiced at the state park, community park, and even by first street. They had meets at least once a week ranging from MLK school in Berkeley to Lake Temescal in Oakland. The seventh and eighth graders ran the championship meet at Kennedy Grove and sixth graders ran it at Prospect Sierra. The sixth grade girls even won the championship! It was the first time they ever won. Sixth grade girls have always came close in the past but never became champions. Coach Yip, who has been coaching the team for 10 years after her Son didn’t want to play soccer anymore and wanted to start running, started the Cross Country program at BMS. Daniel Bantay, who was on the team as a 6th grader said, “It was so much fun and I can’t wait to do it next year. My favorite memory was going out to eat after every cross country meet, my favorite time eating out was after the sixth grade championships. We went to Me N Eds Pizza in Richmond. We played air hockey and pool and everyone was laughing.” The season was short this year with only 6 meets not including championships but everyone on the team had a blast and left the season with new friends.