The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

California Fires

World Events

October 24, 2018

A motorists on Highway 101 watches flames from the Thomas fire leap above the roadway north of Ventura, Calif., on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017.  As many as five fires have closed highways, schools and museums, shut down production of TV series and cast a hazardous haze over the region. About 200,000 people were under evacuation orders. No deaths and only a few injuries were reported. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

AP

A motorists on Highway 101 watches flames from the Thomas fire leap above the roadway north of Ventura, Calif., on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017. As many as five fires have closed highways, schools and museums, shut down production of TV series and cast a hazardous haze over the region. About 200,000 people were under evacuation orders. No deaths and only a few injuries were reported. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

California fires… It is a really big issue right now. There has been 4,976 fires since the start of 2018 and more keep starting and over all they have burned 820,000 acres. The Mendocino Complex Fire that started in July 27,2018 and is still burning and has burned almost 459,000 acres of land, Delta fire that started on September 8th has still not been extinguished  (but is 70% contained) has burned 60,277 acres ,or the Valley fire that started on September 12 and burned thankfully only 1,348 acres but only 29% extinguished. There have been fires that have started in June 2018 that still haven’t been extinguished. But something you probably don’t know is that WE are the people who help the fires continue to burn. About 84% of fires are ignited by humans. We start weird fires like the car fire that started july 23 2018 flames have destroyed more than 1,000 homes in and around Redding. I don’t want to make you feel like this is your fault, because it’s not. Also 17 people have been killed by these fires.These fires are also so bad because our state is very dry. Before the Carr fire started in started in a area near Sacramento the weather was 10 degrees higher than normal. “ABC News Senior Meteorologist Rob Marciano said it was an exceedingly long heatwave and that the high temperatures could create more wind in the afternoon and evening, which is partly why the Carr fire spread so rapidly” abc news said in one of there latest articles. So you ask, how can we help stop these fires? “ We can bury power lines, like the ones linked to the deadly fire siege in October 2017; build fire breaks into communities; do more controlled burns; and, in the long term, cut back on the greenhouse gases we pump into the atmosphere” the verge says