The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

California Fires

World Events

October 24, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

California Fires

California fires… It is a really big issue right now. There has been 4,976 fires since the start of 2018 and more keep starting and over all they have burned 820,000 acres. The Mendocino Complex Fire that started in July 27,2018 and is still burning and has burned almost 459,000 acres of land, Delta fire that started on September 8th has still not been extinguished  (but is 70% contained) has burned 60,277 acres ,or the Valley fire that started on September 12 and burned thankfully only 1,348 acres but only 29% extinguished. There have been fires that have started in June 2018 that still haven’t been extinguished. But something you probably don’t know is that WE are the people who help the fires continue to burn. About 84% of fires are ignited by humans. We start weird fires like the car fire that started july 23 2018 flames have destroyed more than 1,000 homes in and around Redding. I don’t want to make you feel like this is your fault, because it’s not. Also 17 people have been killed by these fires.These fires are also so bad because our state is very dry. Before the Carr fire started in started in a area near Sacramento the weather was 10 degrees higher than normal. “ABC News Senior Meteorologist Rob Marciano said it was an exceedingly long heatwave and that the high temperatures could create more wind in the afternoon and evening, which is partly why the Carr fire spread so rapidly” abc news said in one of there latest articles. So you ask, how can we help stop these fires? “ We can bury power lines, like the ones linked to the deadly fire siege in October 2017; build fire breaks into communities; do more controlled burns; and, in the long term, cut back on the greenhouse gases we pump into the atmosphere” the verge says

On Nov. 8, 2018 6:29 am, the “The Camp fire” ignited. This fire torched 14,000 homes, killed 85 people, left 249 people still missing, and burned 153,336 acres ( A record for California fires). All the fire left was a burned community, muddy ash, and wiped out neighborhoods. This fire sent people searching for shelters, food, water just anything to keep them safe. People around the state have came together to bring these peoples stuff that they lost, like food, water, clothes,and toys for the children. Companies like The Red Cross, Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation, CCF Wildlife Relief Fund, United Way Of Greater Los Angeles, Humane Society of Ventura County, and The Firefighters Charitable Foundation have donated money and tried to make this rough patch in these peoples journeys easier. Some survivors said  that this was the deadliest wildfire in california history and others are worried about how this fire started. People say PG&E sparked the fire.“They definitely didn’t do enough,”said Christina Taft, whose 67-year-old mother has been missing since the fire.” ABC new says.”There is a reason all these people are dead” She also says.