The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

Rare Super Blue Blood Moon

January 31, 2018

The second super-size full moon in a month takes on a total lunar eclipse on January 31. According to eclipse experts, the event marks the first time anyone on Earth has seen this celestial trifecta in 35 years—and the first time it’s been seen in the Americas in 150 years. On the 31st, the moon will reach it’s full phase at 8:27 a.m. According to National Geographic, “This is the second full moon to occur in a calendar month, an event commonly referred to as a ‘blue moon’. Around the same time, the full moon will be making an especially close approach to Earth, a phenomenon popularly called a supermoon.” Viewers in some parts of the world will also experience a total lunar eclipse on the 31st. When the eclipse hits its peak, the moon’s face can sometimes take on a reddish tone, earning it the moniker of blood moon. “Based on this cosmic combination, the unusual lunar sky show has been dubbed a super blue blood moon (NG).” The nearly full moon will reach its closest point to Earth at 6 a.m. ET (11:00 UT) on January 30, when the moon will be just under 223,069 miles from our planet. The full moon on the 31st will appear about seven percent bigger and 14 percent brighter than usual, but the most visually impressive part of this lunar show promises to be the total eclipse.