The Student News Site of Benicia Middle School

WEB Lends a Helping Hand

September 26, 2017

We all know WEB, WEB, WEB is AWESOME, but did you know what they really do?  Along with helping 6th graders feel more comfortable about starting middle school, they plan different events, teach, and spearhead a Kindness Campaign that can’t be beat.  Last week, from Monday through Thursday, Kindness Campaign members helped one of our own who was caught in a tough situation.  Mr. Cunningham, an 8th grade English teacher here at BMS, had family living in Texas.  When Hurricane Harvey hit, they lost everything but each other and whatever they could fit into a backpack.  Their house was one of the hundreds of buildings that were damaged or destroyed during the 180 billion dollar storm.  Luckily they got out safely aboard a couple of good Samaritan’s boat, but unfortunately most of their possessions were lost.  “[When I heard this story] I was really sad, but I knew BMS could help,”  Jada Rivas, a dedicated 8th Grade WEB Leader said.  After concocting a plan, WEB’s Kindness Campaign created posters, flyers, and even wrote an announcement to get the word out about the fundraiser.

For four days, WEB collected donations before school and during lunch.  Michelle Fernandez, another WEB leader, even brought cookies for students who donated a dollar or more.  WEB worked hard to earn money for this good cause, and when all was said and done, they raised more than $1500!  “I felt really good, and happy that we could make such a difference,”  Ella Beatson, another WEB Leader, quoted.  Thanks to all of your compassion and hard work, BMS has helped a family get back on their feet.

Just so you know how much you are appreciated, the Zammiello family wrote an email to Mr. Cunningham stating,

“Oh my goodness, I don’t even know what to say.  I was in tears by the time I finished reading this.  That your school would do this for me and my family is truly amazing and I can’t thank you enough for your help and support.  This has been a hard journey but the love and support that everyone has shown is so wonderful.  Thank you so much.  A million thanks yous to you and your fellow staff and students!!”

Hugs-

Kelli and family

Thank you again, and I hope each and every one of you are proud of the difference that you made!

Missed the fundraiser?  Click here to donate online.

Kindness Campaign members Ava Manini, Michelle Fernandez, Jada Rivas, Caitlin Begbie, Ella Beatson, Juliana Leonares, and Jiana Lyons in front of Talk Town, raising money for the Zammiello family